Subject: Cleaning turquoise

Cleaning turquoise

From: Eileen Procter <eileen.procter<-a>
Date: Tuesday, December 23, 1997
I have a piece of turquoise mounted in sterling silver. It has been
previously worn and now the turquoise has yellowed but the silver
has not tarnished.  The silver is not coated.  I have not had
experience with conserving stones (I am a metals conservator at the
Australian War Memorial) and would like to know if the
discolouration can be removed and if so, what would be the best way
to go about it.  Thank you for your input

Eileen Procter
Metals Conservator
Australian War Memorial
Treloar Centre for Conservation