Subject: Volatile corrosion inhibitors

Volatile corrosion inhibitors

From: George Bailey <george.bailey<-a>
Date: Monday, December 22, 1997
Janet E. Reinhold wrote:

>I have a current project in which some police firearms (and other
>stuff such as Tazers and ammo!) are going into a time capsule
>(stainless steel, to be welded closed).  I am considering Volatile
>Corrosion Inhibitor wraps as specified in military packaging for the
>firearms.  I plan to overwrap these with Marvelseal watervaporproof
>barrier bags, sealed, but am concerned about the other items inside
>the container (namely, documents, photos, etc.) and any reaction
>with whatever might seep in from the VCI stuff.  Air will be pushed
>out of the container with inert (argon) gas, and I can use Ageless
>and desiccant/silica gel as necessary.

If you are going to flush with argon and include Ageless and silica
gel, I wouldn't bother with VCIs. I would be careful, though, to
make sure that neither the Ageless or silica gel are in direct
contact with any other objects in the capsule. Silica gel, in
particular, will tarnish metals if they are in direct contact.

If you really want to use a VCI, then I'd consider using Cortec VC
307 or VC 609. I've tried these (and other VCIs) and found them
to be the most suitable for a wide range of metals/alloys. Do note,
however, that they may cause yellowing of wool, silk, and nylon. I
suspect it may have an affect on the gelatin of the photographs, as
well. All this shouldn't be a problem, though, if you plan to use
water/vapourproof barrier bags. Hope this helps,

George Bailey
Objects Conservator
Australian War Memorial
Treloar Centre for Conservation