Subject: Volatile corrosion inhibitors

Volatile corrosion inhibitors

From: Paul Storch <paul.storch<-a>
Date: Monday, December 22, 1997
Janet Reinhold inquired about the use of Volatile Corrosion
Inhibitor-impregnated cloths or papers for use in a time capsule. I
would suggest the use of Corrosion Intercept (R) film and bags. This
material is a polyethylene film that is impregnated with elemental
copper.  It works by preferentially adsorbing and reacting with
volatile pollutant species before they can react with the metals
that are wrapped in the film or bag.  A 1 mil thickness of Corrosion
Intercept has been tested to show that it will afford 10 years of
protection in an atmosphere of 7 ppb of hydrogen sulfide.  The film
itself does not off-gas any VOC's that could affect other objects in
the capsule.  You might want to enclose acidic papers and
photographs in the proper enclosure materials, such as buffered
envelopes and Microchamber products, as appropriate for each object.
I would also suggest that you remove the batteries from electrical
devices such as the Tazers, and package them separately in Marvel
seal bags. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Paul S. Storch
Objects Conservator
John and Martha Daniels Objects Conservation Laboratory (JMD-OCL)
B-109.1, Minnesota History Center
345 Kellogg Blvd West
St. Paul, MN  55102-1906
612-297-5774