Subject: UV filters

UV filters

From: Roger Wulff <museplan<-a>
Date: Saturday, December 20, 1997
Ana Marie Liddell <amliddell<-a t->alison< . >sbc< . >edu> writes

>I am concerned about the installation of a painting in a spot which
>is exposed in part to mid-afternoon sun.  The use of blinds would
>not be practical but protecting the window/door with a UV coating
>may be possible.

As the manager of The International Cultural Property Protection
Exposition held in conjunction with The National Conference On
Cultural Property Protection sponsored by the Smithsonian each year
(next one is 9-12 Feb. 1998 in Washington, D.C.), I attempt to find
(and have the firms exhibit) products and services that can be used
by the Cultural Community.  After several years of trying, I finally
have one firm who will exhibit their Glass Film at our Exposition in
Feb., 1998.  The problem with this type of product for the cultural
and conservation communities is that the product is usually
conceived of and marketed as a security product (it stops breaking
and entering--"smash and grab" situations, protects against bomb
blasts and severe weather conditions, etc.- while remaining
invisible to the eye).  In some cases, I have had to educate these
firms to its UV stopping ability and it's potential market in the
cultural community for protecting artifacts.  We are a fairly small
"vertical" market for these firms.

As to your question of purchasing this UV Film, try contacting a
local security dealer or distributor in your area--ask for it as a
security product and them ascertain the product's ability to filter
UV light - not all Glass Film filters UV light.  But also be aware
that the firm may require that it install the film.  Cost is usually
on a square foot of glass area basis. Kind regards,

Roger Wulff
Museum Services International

                Distributed: Tuesday, December 23, 1997