Subject: Formaldehyde-free fiberboard

Formaldehyde-free fiberboard

From: Karen Potje <kpotje<-a>
Date: Thursday, December 18, 1997
We are looking for sources of formaldehyde-free mdf (medium density
fibreboard) for use in the construction of exhibition cases.  Since
we are located in Montreal we need a source in the region--whether
in central Ontario, Quebec or the northeastern U.S.  Can anyone can
suggest other suitable materials for constructing cases which will
not release formaldehyde into the cases, which are easy to work, and
reasonable in cost?  Are fibreboards containing phenol formaldehyde
or polyurea completely free of harmful emissions, or only less
damaging than those containing urea formaldehyde or polyformaldehyde?

So many questions and problems regarding harmful emissions due to
case materials, paints, adhesives, etc. are arising lately that I
wonder if it's time for a workshop or pre-conference session on this
issue.  Conservators and exhibit designers could share their bad
experiences and, hopefully, some solutions too.

Karen Potje
Head, Conservation/Preservation
Canadian Centre for Architecture

                 Distributed: Friday, December 19, 1997