Subject: Edge recognition software

Edge recognition software

From: Paul Storch <paul.storch<-a>
Date: Thursday, December 18, 1997
I just had an inquiry from a microanalyst at our state's Bureau of
Criminal Apprehension (Minnesota's FBI crime labs) who asked me if I
knew of a computer program that automatically does edge matching of
fragments of glass and/or ceramics.  They are trying to fit hundreds
of pieces of glass from a pending criminal case back into a window,
presumably to look for bullet holes and determine ballistics
(direction of the shot, point of entry, etc.).

We are currently using Adobe Photoshop and CorelDraw in our lab to
manipulate scanned photos of partially reconstructed prehistoric
ceramics, but I don't know of a proprietary program that calculates
edge measurements and automatically creates matching margins.  If
anyone does know of an existing program or someone who is working on
one, I would appreciate the information.  Thanks in advance,

Paul S. Storch
Objects Conservator
John and Martha Daniels Objects Conservation Laboratory (JMD-OCL)
B-109.1, Minnesota History Center
345 Kellogg Blvd West
St. Paul, MN  55102-1906
612-297-5774