Subject: Tape

Tape

From: Claudia Stall <cstall<-a>
Date: Thursday, December 18, 1997
Rose Sheridan <rsheridan<-a t->little-dixie< . >lib< . >mo< . >us> writes

>After a little persuasion, I did get the staff to switch from
>regular adhesive tape to the removable tape.  It's still not good,
>but at least it's less damaging to the materials.  My problem is
>that after using the tape for a couple of months, people are
>complaining that it doesn't stick very well and they want to go back
>to the old way of using regular sticky tape to attach notes to
>books.  The topic will surely come up at our staff meeting in
>January, and will I need to be prepared to defend my stance.

It should be possible to attach a strap to the front cover, wrapping
around to the back of the front cover and secured with adhesive
tape.  If the strap is a bit short just put a piece of paper under
it to protect the paste down from the tape.  The 3x5 card can be
taped to this strap or even use the strap itself for the information
needed.  Can be color coded for a specific branch, etc.  As long as
the strap is tightly taped, it is a secure system. This method is
used quite successfully by our Interlibrary Loan office.
Hope this helps,

Claudia Stall
Head, Collection Preservation Unit
San Diego State University