Subject: CAL budget

CAL budget

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo<-a>
Date: Sunday, December 14, 1997
This is a comment on Don William's answer to my request if the
Conservation Analytical Laboratory couldn't do some research on
microwave use in conservation.  Don corrected himself after stating
that the CAL did not have budget increases.  His correction stated
that although there were increases in the past few years, these
where taken up in pay increases for full time employees.

While I respect the CAL greatly, based on the fantastic scientific
work in conservation basic science they have done over the years, I
must express some dismay over these responses to my query.  The CAL
has provided the conservation community with the benefit of basic
research for the Smithsonian labs over the years.  I have enjoyed
being able to call up CAL scientists and get copies of original
research reports (as the CCI provides) and to be able to speak with
CAL scientists about problems in day to day work as well.  However,
I am curious why I received this type of obfuscation.  I have
checked out Don's statement and found that actually, the CAL budget
has had a dramatic increase in discretionary funds since 1990
reaching over $800,000 by 1995 alone.  This was they kind of funding
I was originally referring to, unallocated funds that can be used
for new projects at the discretion of the Director.

During my queries with government sources about the CAL budget I
found that the CAL administration has cancelled their training
program in furniture conservation.  So I suppose this means another
increase in discretionary funds.  One has to ask, does this mean
that the CAL will be funding more original research in conservation
as a result? Perhaps Bert can come online and tell us what plans the
CAL has for research and treatment priorities in the future?  I am
sure that most list members will agree that among the various labs
publishing work, we all look to the CAL for leadership.  Certainly
Bert's comments at the ICOM conference in 1993 pictured an active
program for the future.  So while my expectations might be high, I
am anxious about the future of the CAL given Mr. William's answers,
so perhaps he or Bert can clarify them.

Niccolo Caldararo
Director and Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service

               Distributed: Wednesday, December 17, 1997