Subject: Tape

Tape

From: Gary Frost <dryfrio<-a>
Date: Saturday, December 13, 1997
Rose Sheridan <rsheridan<-a t->little-dixie< . >lib< . >mo< . >us> writes

>After a little persuasion, I did get the staff to switch from
>regular adhesive tape to the removable tape.  It's still not good,
>but at least it's less damaging to the materials.  My problem is
>that after using the tape for a couple of months, people are
>complaining that it doesn't stick very well and they want to go back
>to the old way of using regular sticky tape to attach notes to
>books.  The topic will surely come up at our staff meeting in
>January, and will I need to be prepared to defend my stance.

Perhaps you should shift the discussion to where the taped notes are
placed. The back pastedown or its free flyleaf? There is also the
option of tipping in a sacrificial blank flyleaf for the tape
mountings.

As for page mending, the tissue based repair tapes are less damaging,
though not from a legibility standpoint. In a broad consideration of
their damage potential all tapes are just too wide for page mending.
For page mending, scissor cut the tape lengthwise into short, narrow
strips.

Tapes should not be used on books published prior to their
invention. This is a weird rule that appeals to librarians.

Gary Frost

               Distributed: Wednesday, December 17, 1997