Subject: Ultrasonic welders

Ultrasonic welders

From: Daniel Clement <danielclement<-a>
Date: Saturday, December 13, 1997
Like Shannon Zachary, I also have a Preservation Materials Crossweld
polyester welder.  It does have problems: molten plastic sticking to
the platten covering material, having to estimate the amount of time
required for a weld that will hold, but will not cut through the
Mylar, etc. However, I would also like to offer some pros.  I use
thick Mylar to encapsulate large treated wall maps.  The Crossweld
will weld six or seven mil Mylar to itself.  It will attach Mylar to
paper, card stock, or matboard.  It can make welds which are set
back from the edge.  I have success joining welds (three) along the
edges of maps which measure up to 60" X 60".

It is not a perfect machine by any means, but can do things that the
others won't.

Dan Clement
Paper Conservation

               Distributed: Wednesday, December 17, 1997