Subject: Painting installed on marble wall

Painting installed on marble wall

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh<-a>
Date: Wednesday, December 17, 1997
Re: the discussion of hanging paintings on an outside marble wall.
I do not disagree with the discussion, but I think it is worthwhile
to note that marble is not hygroscopic; the effects are due to
temperature conductivity and the interrelationship between RH and
temperature.

I would also be curious to hear from more people of their
observations related to cutting holes in the backings of paintings.
In my experience, small areas of canvas corresponding to the holes
can appear, due presumably to rapid air exchange, but I do not have
much experience with collections in constant high-humidity
environments where the possibility of mold growth on the reverse of
paintings is a concern.

B. Appelbaum

               Distributed: Wednesday, December 17, 1997