Subject: Plasticine

Plasticine

From: Howard Newman <hhnewman<-a>
Date: Monday, December 15, 1997
John Grace <jgrace<-a t->archives< . >ca> writes

>The National Archives of Canada has a number of moulds and models
>made of Plasticine.  I would like to know if anyone has investigated
>the off-gassing characteristics of this material.

As a silversmith and bronze sculptor, I specifically do not use
plasticine near or together with metals because the sulfur in the
material causes immediate and serious oxide growth. Some makers of
plasticine have developed non-sulfurous modelling media in recent
years.  You can tell immediately what type you have by the smell or
lack thereof.

               Distributed: Wednesday, December 17, 1997