Subject: Session on book repair techniques

Session on book repair techniques

From: Pete Merrill-Oldham <pete<-a>
Date: Wednesday, December 10, 1997
Many of you might remember a "Call for volunteers and donations for
a demonstration of three basic book repair techniques at the next
ALA midwinter and/or the next ALA Annual meeting" that I sent out on
August 25th this year.  Here is where things stand at this time.  By
the way, we are still looking for more volunteers and $$.

    1.  The Library of Congress (Diane Nester Kresh) has donated a
        section of their booth    at ALA Annual 1998 in Washington,
        DC.

    2.  We have 9 to 10 volunteers to do the demonstrations.

    3.  We currently have about 150 books donated for repairs from
        North Carolina State    (Winston Atkins) Harvard Law School
        (Will Meredith),  and U. of Michigan (Shannon Zachary).

    4.  Gaylord Brothers has offered to provide all materials,
        equipment, and $250 for    additional expenses.

    5.  Solinet has offered to donate $500 (along with two of the
        volunteer demonstrators).

    6.  Acme Bookbinding is donating $250.

    7.  Bridgeport National Bindery will donate $250

    8.  Library Binding Supply will donate $250

A list of contributors and volunteers:

    Susan E. Lunas
    732-544-8319
    154 Wedgewood Circle
    Eatontown, NJ  07724
    <slunas<-a t->mindspring< . >com>

    ALCTS
    Karen Muller
    800-545-2433
    Fax: 312-280-3257
    50 East Huron Street
    Chicago, IL  60611
    <kmuller<-a t->ala< . >org>

    American University in Cairo
    Melissa A. Mcafee
    202-357-6243
    Rare Books Library
    113 Kasr El Aini Street
    11511  Cairo, Egypt
    <mmcafee<-a t->uns2< . >auc< . >eun< . >eg>

    Gutman Library, Monroe C.
    Mary Russell McMillen
    617-495-4285
    Fax: 617-495-0540
    6 Appian Way
    Cambridge, MA  02138
    <russelma<-a t->hugse1< . >harvard< . >edu>

    Harvard Law Library
    Willis Meredith
    617-495-4815
    Langdell Hall
    Cambridge, MA  02138
    meredith<-a t->law< . >harvard< . >edu

    Johns Hopkins University Libraries
    Jeanne Drewes
    410-516-5486
    Fax: 410-516-4355
    Milton S. Eisenhower Library
    Preservation Dept.
    Baltimore, MD  21218
    jdrewes<-a t->jhu< . >edu

    Library Binding Service
    Rob Mauritz
    800-247-5323
    Fax: 800-262-4091
    P.O. Box 1413
    1801 Thompson Ave.
    Des Moines, IA  50305-1413
    <lbsbind<-a t->ix< . >netcom< . >com>

    Library of Congress
    Diane Nester Kresh
    202-707-5213
    Fax: 202-707-3434
    Director of Preservation
    Washington, DC  20540
    <dkre<-a t->loc< . >gov>

    NC Preservation Consortium
    Harlan Greene
    919-683-1709
    <ncpc<-a t->mindspring< . >com>

    Solinet
    Christine S. Wiseman and Julie Arnott
    404-892-0943
    1438 W. Peachtree St., NW Suite 200
    Atlanta, GA 30309-2955
    <christine_wiseman<-a t->solinet< . >net>
    <julie_arnott<-a t->solinet< . >net>

    University of Michigan
    Shannon Zachary
    313-763-9615