Subject: Amino acids on lithic tools

Amino acids on lithic tools

From: George Bailey <george.bailey<-a>
Date: Tuesday, December 9, 1997
Paul Storch asked

>    *   Does anyone know if research has been done on this question,
>        and if so what are the references?
>    *   Even if residues were preserved, wouldn't washing and
>        brushing destroy them?

I recall seeing a documentary several years ago titled something
like "Getting Blood out of Stone". It was about work being carried
out at the Australian National University (Faculty of Arts,
Department of Archaeology and Anthropology, I think). I can't
remember if they were extracting DNA from fossils or from stone
tools, but they may be worth talking to. The fax no. for the ANU is
+61-2-6249 5571. Hope this helps,

George Bailey
Australian War Memorial

                 Distributed: Tuesday, December 9, 1997