Subject: Scanners

Scanners

From: Stephen Selby <srselby<-a>
Date: Friday, December 5, 1997
I have just come back from visiting the new municipal library in
Shanghai, China. They have a substantial collection of old,
thread-bound Chinese books and family genealogies and are putting
them onto CD-ROM in scanned form.

They have asked me to obtain information on any companies supplying
non-flat-bed scanners to allow books to be scanned without breaking
the spine.  I have heard of such technology for photocopying, but
not for scanners.

                 Distributed: Monday, December 8, 1997