Subject: Water and fire damaged paintings

Water and fire damaged paintings

From: Anthony D. Ayers <raphaelmad<-a>
Date: Thursday, December 4, 1997
I, as Miss Kemp, would appreciate any information members might have
regarding the restoration of water damaged paintings, but with the
added problem of fire damage.

I have an Italian (or Spanish, no one is quite sure at the moment)
Mannerist altarpiece (60 x 73 inches), oil on canvas, that was
damaged by a fire in 1858, that I am in the process of restoring.
The painting has been relined and the pigments stabilized.  An
ammonia based cleaning solution, similar in composition to Winton
oil picture cleaner, has been unable to remove much of the surface
"smoke".  I know that in some areas a chemical reaction has probably
occurred that will be irreversible, but I would like to clean as much
of the "smoke: layer off as possible, as well as the water
streaking.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Anthony Ayers
1044 Tower Road
Winnetka IL  60093

                 Distributed: Monday, December 8, 1997