Subject: Amino acids on lithic tools

Amino acids on lithic tools

From: Paul Storch <paul.storch<-a>
Date: Friday, December 5, 1997
Our state archaeologist is holding up a request to make RTV silicone
molds from flint/chert (i.e. cryptocrystalline quartz) projectile
points based on the belief that there might be 'amino acid residues'
still on the surfaces.  Analysis of the residues would characterize
the types of animals that were hunted and butchered by different
prehistoric groups during different time periods.  Most of the tools
in question have been cleaned with water and brushing after
excavation.

I have been asked for my opinion as to whether or not there should
be a concern that the RTV mold-making process would disturb or
remove the residues, thus ruining any future chemical analysis.  I
don't think that there would be any ancient residues on these
lithics, given the past handling history.      I could image that,
given exceptional and special preservation circumstances, and
extremely well-controlled recovery methods, stone artifacts might be
recovered that do have such residues on their surfaces.

My questions are:

    *   Does anyone know if research has been done on this question,
        and if so what are the references?

    *   Even if residues were preserved, wouldn't washing and
        brushing destroy them?

It's been a while since I have been involved in archaeology full
time, and consequently have not kept up with the archaeometry
literature.  I'd appreciate any informed opinions and leads on these
questions.

Paul S. Storch
Objects Conservator
John and Martha Daniels Objects Conservation Laboratory (JMD-OCL)
B-109.1, Minnesota History Center
345 Kellogg Blvd West
St. Paul, MN  55102-1906
612-297-5774