Subject: Storing and displaying ephemera

Storing and displaying ephemera

From: Lois Olcott Price <loprice<-a>
Date: Friday, December 5, 1997
In answer to Gary Roberts query, we have a large (several thousand)
trade catalog collection shelved in rare books and used in a library
setting. We have found that the four flap enclosures and custom four
flap enclosures from Archival Products, P.O. Box 1413, Des Moines,
IA 50305 800-526-5640, have solved most of our problems.  The
four-flap enclosures are good for thin items, while the pre-scored
custom four-flap enclosures accommodate items up to 1" thick.
Alternately, for thin items, a sling folder (crease at the bottom)
inserted into an envelope provides good support and protection, but
is more likely to get lost on the shelf. We have rehoused part of
our collection in these enclosures and all new acquisitions.  They
are a little pricey, but simple to use and very effective.  We also
found that using shelving designed for LPs with dividers every 6"
provides flexibility and support for this collection that bookends
cannot.  Most of the items are thin, many are small, and they are
heavily used with lots of reshelving and interfiling of new
acquisitions required.

Lois Olcott Price
Conservator of Library Collections
Winterthur Library