Subject: Preservation committees

Preservation committees

From: Lois Olcott Price <loprice<-a>
Date: Friday, December 5, 1997
In answer to one of Robert Milevski's queries, we have a
Preservation committee in the Winterthur Library that was
established in 1993 with one representative from each of the five
Library sections plus the Library conservator.  Its charge from the
Library Director was to:

   "Recommend and implement ways that preservation awareness can be
    incorporated throughout all areas of library operations.  To
    establish and regularly update long and short term goals for
    library preservation.  To provide a means of regular
    communication between Conservation Division staff and Library
    staff."

Since its establishment, the committee has helped revise the Library
disaster plan, participated in planning a successful grant
application to the U.S. Dept. of Education to survey and rehouse our
Art & Crafts and Colonial Revival collections, and, most recently,
completed a 15 minute slide/audio presentation to introduce new
users to the Library collections and their care and handling
(preservation and access).  Our next project is a review and
revision of handling guidelines in each of the five library
sections.  Members of this committee also service the recording
hygrothermographs in their area and forward the charts to me and
keep me informed of supply needs since I am responsible for ordering
all storage materials.

The committee has been very useful in a small (80,000 vols., 2,500
document groups, 150,000 photographs plus institutional archives,
slide library) library where I serve as preservation administrator
as well as general and special collections conservator.

Lois Olcott Price
Winterthur Library

                 Distributed: Monday, December 8, 1997