Subject: Painting installed on marble wall

Painting installed on marble wall

From: Howard Newman <hhnewman<-a>
Date: Saturday, December 6, 1997
George W. Adams <cunningham-adams<-a t->worldnet< . >att< . >net> writes

>Carol Clausen <carol_clausen<-a t->occshost< . >nlm< . >nih< . >gov> writes:
>
>>We are thinking of hanging a framed painting (oil on canvas) on a
>>marble panel.
>To avoid radiative cooling of the painting's reverse if
>the wall is extremely cold, you could apply a reflective shield or
>insulator on the wall behind the painting.  Steps would have to be
>taken to ensure that condensation either does not occur behind such
>a shield, or that such condensation does not cause problems.

Perhaps one step farther might be loosely affixing the reflective
barrier to the rear of the painting, allowing the wall the ability
to breathe a lot, which it would need, and allowing the rear of the
painting to breath just a little, which is what it probably needs.
In addition, the barrier would be invisible from the usual  viewers'
positions in the rooms, could be done before hanging, and would
travel with the painting,during the process of hanging the work.

                 Distributed: Monday, December 8, 1997