Subject: Clean-up

Clean-up

From: Henry Grunder <hgrunder<-a>
Date: Wednesday, December 3, 1997
In Conservation DistList Instance: 7:68 March 29, 1994,
Sandra Markham <markham<-a t->yalevm< . >cis< . >yale< . >edu> writes

>Are there recommended products or techniques for cleaning hands while
>working in off-site storage areas with no water/washing facilities
>available? I'm thinking of a situation where wearing gloves is not
>practical; has anyone an opinion on the use of disposable treated paper
>cloth (like in the packets given out by some fast-food restaurants) or
>perhaps another product that would not leave a residue on skin that
>could be transferred to paper?

If there was any follow-up on the List to Sandra Markham's both the
search engine and I missed it. Her concern is mine: that a "residue
on skin that could be transferred to paper" might be left. The
product that some of our staff have taken to using describes its
ingredients as "water, glycerine, aloe vera gel, citric acid, sodium
benzoate, tartaric acid, potassium sorbate." I suppose that
glycerine, for instance, eventually percutaneously absorbs. I
suppose that the two acids are "weak" acids, weak at least by
comparison with (say) H2SO4. Still...

Does anyone else share my suspicions?

Henry Grunder
Conservation/Preservation Coordinator
The Library of Virginia

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 3, 1997