Subject: Adhesives for ceramics

Adhesives for ceramics

From: Stephen Koob <koobst<-a>
Date: Wednesday, November 26, 1997
David Gill <101721.336<-a t->compuserve< . >com> writes

>I am interested in the properties and advantages of the following
>adhesives for restoration of ceramics: Paraloid, B72, Epotek 301, in
>comparison to HEXTAL NYL-1 and Devcon 2-ton Crystal Clear.

This is a large subject and I suggest you first review the published
literature, primarily my publications on Paraloid (Acryloid) B-72.
In my opinion, you should avoid using any epoxy as an adhesive in
ceramic restoration.  In general, the epoxies have much too high a
bond strength, even for stoneware and porcelain.  This means that if
stress is applied to the join, the ceramic is likely to break, not
the adhesive join.  All the epoxies yellow and have poor stability.
They are difficult to reverse and reversal may cause damage to the
ceramic, particularly if the epoxy is applied directly to a porous
substrate.  Reversal can only be done by swelling the epoxy and this
may disrupt the ceramic body.  Paraloid (Acryloid) B-72 adhesive is
certainly strong enough to join any ceramic, and joins can easily be
reversed (or moved, adjusted) using solvents or a warm hair dryer.
B-72 is also much more stable.

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 26, 1997