Subject: Sweet's Catalogs sought

Sweet's Catalogs sought

From: Lisa Mibach <mibach<-a>
Date: Monday, November 24, 1997
    **** Moderator's comments:   Please respond directly to the
    author

A colleague in historic building preservation wants to buy copies of
Sweet's Catalogs from c. 1890-1950.  I understand these to be
specification books for architects (with included advertisements),
published annually with one volume for plumbing, another for door
plates, elevator button covers, screws, and so forth. I think 4
volumes are published in each annual set; my colleague needs them as
accurate illustrations of period hardware for industrial/apartment
buildings, similarly to the Old House Source Book for individual
residences.

These are still published in New York, but the archives are not open
to visitors, and the company apparently is not interested in
reissuing old volumes.  My colleague would rather buy the volumes
from the periods he uses than try to find them in reference
libraries because of he uses them so often (kind of like AATA before
BCIN).

If anyone has any ideas on where these might be obtainable, or has
some for sale, please let me know.

Lisa Mibach

                Distributed: Tuesday, November 25, 1997