Subject: Books with blocked pages

Books with blocked pages

From: Diana Ruby-Sanderson <dlrs<-a>
Date: Monday, November 24, 1997
Recently, we discovered in our Philadelphia office a shelf of books
that had been damaged in a small water disaster.  Whoever cleaned up
did not realize that the books were soaked and simply moved them to
another shelf where they dried.  Now, the pages are literally welded
together. We tried re-wetting a book, soaking it up to the tide line
for several hours and then peeling apart the pages.  Did not work. I
tried simply pulling the pages apart dry, which for most of the book
worked.  But I have about 20 pages that will not come apart.
Any suggestions?

Diana Ruby-Sanderson, Special Collections Archivist
Presbyterian Church (USA)
Department of History & Records Management Services
Montreat, North Carolina

                Distributed: Tuesday, November 25, 1997