Subject: Wood used by Benedetto da Maiano

Wood used by Benedetto da Maiano

From: Isabelle Paradis <ccq<-a>
Date: Tuesday, November 18, 1997
We are doing the examination of a polychrome wood sculpture
attributed to the Italian artist, Benedetto da Maiano, active during
the fifteenth century in Florence.  Our analysis has revealed that
the techniques are consistent with Italian techniques (sgraffito on
burnished water gilding, calcium sulfate ground) but the wood has
been identified as basswood, more consistent with northern European
sculpture.  We are wondering if anyone else has sculpture attributed
to Benedetto and if they could comment on the wood used.

Isabelle Paradis
Susan Peschken
Centre de conservation du Quebec

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 19, 1997