Subject: Polystyrene packaging

Polystyrene packaging

From: Kory Berrett <kory<-a>
Date: Tuesday, November 18, 1997
Morgan Anna <morganan<-a t->guinness< . >com> writes

>I have in my collection in the archives here a number of items of
>glass and crockery which are in presentation boxes containing
>polystyrene packaging.....Basically I would like to know if
>there is any danger in leaving them in the polystyrene packaging and
>what alternatives I have to leaving them as they are.

When I was at the Conservation Analytical Lab of the Smithsonian (in
the early 80's) we looked into this question for the purpose of
storage-packing a piece of glass scientific apparatus.  The
conclusion at that time was that all should be well unless the
building burns down; no chemical interaction was to be expected, and
the expanded polystyrene foam we had selected would likely maintain
its integrity under stable conditions.  I expect that this would
hold for porcelain and stoneware as well.  There may be evidence to
support a different conclusion now, but I am not aware of any.  On
the other hand, if I had it to do over now I would select an
appropriate grade of expanded polyethylene foam because it would
provide better cushioning against mechanical shocks.

Kory Berrett
Objects Conservator

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 19, 1997