Subject: Vikane

Vikane

From: Jan-Erik Berg <jeb<-a>
Date: Tuesday, November 18, 1997
Suzanne Carnes <scarnes<-a t->pixi< . >com> writes

>Is anyone familiar with the use of the pesticide Vikane (sulfuryl
>fluoride) for pest eradication?  Our institution is ready to use
>this gas to kill live termites in the shelving.  My main concern and
>question is about the safety of the gas regarding human health (as
>they are prepared to use this gas no matter what).

Have you considered using growth regulators? I don't know if they
work on the species you have problems with, but I think you could
get advice from prof. Nan-Yao Su, Univ. of Florida. Reference: Su,
N-Y. 1994 "Field Evaluation of a Hexaflumuron Bait for Population
Suppression of Subterranean Termites (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae). J.
Econ. Entomol., 87:389-398

Jan-Erik Bergh
Swedish Working Group PRE-MAL
Dr Jan-Erik Bergh
Univ.lektor biologi
Senior lecturer in Biology
Hogskolan Dalarna 791 88  FALUN
Hoegskolan Dalarna S-791 88  FALUN
Sweden
+46-0-23 778373
+46-0-246 61117 (h)
Fax: +46-0-23 778082

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 19, 1997