Subject: Reversing lamination

Reversing lamination

From: Jane McCutchen Brown <brownjm<-a>
Date: Monday, November 17, 1997
A discussion is taking place locally about reversal of the
lamination process which was used in the 1960s and 1970s. (Times are
approximate.  Exact dates unknown--probably a reason treatment
reports are now so strongly urged). Acetone will remove the
laminate.

Question:  What is the chemical action taking place between the
paper and the acetone? If the adhesive in the laminate is cellulose
acetate, which we think it is, what is the chemical action involved
in this treatment?  Will acetone completely remove the cellulose
acetate as well as the tissue laminate?  What is happening to the
paper?

I realize that there are a number of other issues involved in this
activity such as original condition of the item, age of the item,
etc, etc, etc., but, since I'm no chemist, I'm looking for chemical
analyst at the moment before all the other questions pro and con are
evaluated. Thanks,

Jane Brown
Charleston, SC

                 Distributed: Monday, November 17, 1997