Subject: Animal urine in carpets

Animal urine in carpets

From: Howard Wellman <howard<-a>
Date: Saturday, November 15, 1997
I have a hand-woven woolen carpet from Siwa Oasis.  The dyes are a
mixture of natural and synthetic.  I have not yet tested them for
solubility.  Due to the presence of a young kitten, this carpet has
been liberally sprinkled with cat urine, and stinks to high heaven.
Can any textile experts out there suggest good simple cleaning
procedures for this problem? (As you might guess, we don't get many
carpets in our laboratory!) Thanks,

Howard Wellman
Director of Conservation
Institute of Nautical Archaeology-Egypt