Subject: Thin sections of waterlogged wood

Thin sections of waterlogged wood

From: Howard Wellman <howard<-a>
Date: Saturday, November 15, 1997
I'm about to begin sampling and making thin sections of waterlogged
wood from the mid 18th C Sadana Island Shipwreck, an excavation by
the Institute of Nautical Archaeology-Egypt.  I've had practice
making thin-sections in a glycerol medium for immediate inspection
and photo-micrography, but I need to make these permanent slides for
future reference.  Can anyone give me advice on how to make these
permanent? Is it enough to seal the edges of the cover slip with
some resin, such as Canada Balsam or Paraloid B-72?
Thanks for your help,

Howard Wellman
Director of Conservation, INA-Egypt
Alexandria, Egypt