Subject: Ozone treatments

Ozone treatments

From: J. Claire Dean <clairedean<-a>
Date: Wednesday, November 12, 1997
I am posting the following question on behalf of a friend who
teaches and runs the gallery for the fine art department of Minot
State University, North Dakota.  They suffered a fire there on
October 31st which resulted in a lot of soot and smoke damage to
many art works.  It has been suggested (who by I am not sure) that
works be treated with ozone to deodorize them--hence her question.

    What are the long term effects of ozone deodorizing on acrylic
    and oil. I heard it affects the substrate of oil, and causes
    rubber to crack like it does as it ages, and I am curious about
    acrylic. That was the treatment of choice for the artworks. Is
    time a crucial factor?

Claire Dean
Dean & Associates Conservation Services
Portland, Oregon