Subject: Microwave drying

Microwave drying

From: Karen Motylewski <kmoty<-a>
Date: Friday, November 7, 1997
I think the posting about microwaving produced some genuinely useful
discussion, not least the question of whether microwaves are
effective in mold control.  Apparently we don't know: it depends on
species, life cycle stage, treatment protocol, and nature of the
object.  I'm sure most list readers understood the original
concern--not, "should I try this," but, "should this be publicly
promoted." Unfortunately we have no control over the latter. The
general public is highly attracted to what seems simple, cheap, and
easy to understand (note the "seems"). On the other hand, it gave
me, at least, the opportunity to report some casual observations and
ask for input. I believe promoting such discussion is the DistList's
greatest strength, all too seldom used.

As I read through the postings and responses, it's clear that we
need authoritative answers to some complex questions, and as
conservators most of us are outside our area of expertise in
discussing mold in any frame of reference other than its removal
from artifacts.  Relatively speaking, in the matter of mold health
hazards, most of *us* are the general public. The necessary answers
are most likely to come from health professionals or microbiologists
who don't read this list.  We already know that a protocol that
involves suspending a moldy object in water and microwaving it for
75 minutes is unlikely to apply widely to conservation needs. What
we don't know is whether surveying in the musty basements of
historical societies (when almost none of us would wear a
respirator) is going to hurt us.

Karen Motylewski
Director, Preservation and Conservation Studies
SZB 564/D7000, University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX 78712-1276
512-471-8290
Fax: 512-471-8285

                 Distributed: Friday, November 14, 1997