Subject: Microwave drying

Microwave drying

From: Randolph Stilson <stilsonr<-a>
Date: Thursday, November 6, 1997
I see my most recent post (microwaves used for mold control) has
generated a good deal of debate.  My point was not so much that of
whether the technique can accomplish the desired results but the
fact that a very sophisticated conservation technique was being
touted on a popular television show as a reasonable method of
treating mold on cultural materials.  The method can only be deemed
reasonable if used by highly trained individuals making very well
informed judgements based on the treated materials composition,
current environmental conditions, specific information about the
equipment being used, etc.  These are not considerations of which
people in audiences watching this kind of show are going to be
familiar.

I did call the network to indicate my concern.  There is an
opportunity here for someone really familiar with this technique to
indicate to the general public that they should leave mold
eradication up to experts.

Randolph Stilson
Conservation Associates of the Pacific Northwest

                Distributed: Thursday, November 6, 1997