Subject: Examining watermarks

Examining watermarks

From: Scott W. Devine <liswd<-a>
Date: Thursday, November 6, 1997
Regarding Gillian's Boal's question about lightsheets, I purchased a
fiber optic lightsheet from University Products [page 133 of the
96/97 catalogue] for doing in situ paper repair in books.  The
lightsheet is approximately 8" x 11" and about 2 mm thick; it is
water resistant and works well for japanese paper repairs.

I have also used the lightsheet for demonstrations when I'm talking
to classes about watermarks and routinely make it available to
researchers in our reading room.

At $1695, it may not be for everyone, but I do recommend it.

                Distributed: Thursday, November 6, 1997