Subject: Polyvinyl acetate

Polyvinyl acetate

From: Beck Leslie <leslie.beck<-a>
Date: Wednesday, November 5, 1997
In the course of researching options for restoring historically
significant volumes of recordings, I have been contacted by a
company which specializes in archival restoration.  This company
uses internally plasticized co-polymer polyvinyl acetate (PVA) as a
spine adhesive, and states it "allows permanent flexibility".  Is
this an acceptable adhesive to use on archival records?  I have read
it is not easily reversible or permanently flexible.  Any advise you
can give me will be much appreciated.

Leslie R. Beck
Acting Archivist, King County Archives and Records Management
1215 E. Fir Street, Seattle, Washington  98122

                Distributed: Wednesday, November 5, 1997