Subject: Kodak film codes

Kodak film codes

From: Patrick Toussaint <ptoussai<-a>
Date: Monday, November 3, 1997
Here is a possible answer to the question on the meaning of marks on movie
tapes:

>I'd like to know the meaning of those symbols (triangles, circles,
>and other marks) that can be found in movies made with Kodak picture
>film from the thirties to the fifties. These are on the side of the
>film strip, and I believe they are year codes, useful to know at
>last the year of the stock.

If the marks are on the pictures and in the corners, then they maybe
aimed for the projection people, for them to notice when they have to
switch for another projector. Usually, old movies were mounted on
several film rolls and the projectionist had to know when to switch
from one roll to the next, in order not to interrupt the projection.
If you watch carefully at a movie, even on television, then you
might notice some of those marks briefly appearing in the corners,
just before the scene changes.

Of course, these marks may be something else. Also note that all
brands of tape supposedly bear these markings if they were used for
making a relatively long movie. Yours,

Patrick Toussaint
Universite Libre de Bruxelles
Service Metallurgie-Electrochimie
Avenue F.D. Roosevelt 50 CP 165
B-1050 Bruxelles (Belgium)
+32 2 650 3025/2992
Fax: +32 2 650 3653

                Distributed: Wednesday, November 5, 1997