Subject: Storage of nitrate negatives

Storage of nitrate negatives

From: Jill Sterrett <jsterrett<-a>
Date: Thursday, October 30, 1997
We are planning a project consisting of the storage of 1000 original
cellulose nitrate sheet negatives in a frost-free refrigerator in
our museum. Does anyone have experience with the question of
insurance and/or building codes in this situation? We want to be
informed about this issue before we approach the registrars with our
housing and storage plan. (The negatives have just been duplicated,
and will be stored in the refrigerator in individual paper
enclosures and double sealed in vapor-proof bags).

                 Distributed: Friday, October 31, 1997