Subject: Rolled copper bead

Rolled copper bead

From: David Cottier Angeli <cottierangeli<-a>
Date: Wednesday, October 29, 1997
Linda J. Bartol <104207.3716<-a t->compuserve< . >com> writes

>I am looking for information on the best conservation method for a
>rolled copper bead from a Contact Period Native American shell
>midden.

As archaeological metal conservator, may I suggest you to first made
an assessment of the conservation present situation.

    *   Is the green "patina" corrosion products in a stable
        condition or do they represent a danger for the corrosion
        view point.

    *   Does those deposits are unwanted or does they reflect the
        cultural life of the artefact.

    *   Have you any textiles imprint into those corrosions'
        deposits.

    *   Do you need to remove "soil" (minerals' deposits) from the
        surface to restore the clarity of the artefact.

    *   Does those minerals' deposits are sealed in your green
        corrosion products.

    *   Have you measured the PH values, and the RH now in the
        canister.

    *   Does the rolled copper bead have stress corrosion from
        manufacture time when rolled.

    *   Exhibition, publication or storage, what is the final
        destination of your rolled copper bead.

According to the actual real status of your artefact you may plan
its conservation. Use gloves to avoid the contamination of your
artefact with fingerprints and their associated chemicals.

                 Distributed: Friday, October 31, 1997