Subject: Polypropylene storage boxes

Polypropylene storage boxes

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447<-a>
Date: Thursday, October 30, 1997
With regards Tim Edwards enquiry I would like to add that one does
need to be vigilant to ensure one knows the complete make up of the
plastics involved and any additives incorporated.

The worst thing about this type of material though as against
conventional boxboard products is that the plastics just do not
breath. Those of you whom have read the notes in our catalogue will
recall the continual references to the effects of 'by-products of
deterioration'. The problem with plastic materials like this is that
they trap everything inside so that the item
"stews-in-its-own-juice" greatly accelerating the deterioration of
most products.

The use of proactive archival materials is in the long run the most
viable and the safest alternative.

Mark Vine
Conservation Resources

                 Distributed: Friday, October 31, 1997