Subject: Polypropylene storage boxes

Polypropylene storage boxes

From: Maria Fredericks <mfredericks<-a>
Date: Wednesday, October 29, 1997
To add one more comment to the subject of polypropylene as a
material for storage boxes:  A couple of years ago we had a leak in
an annex area where rare books are stored.  When we went over to
deal with it, we found that the books that had been phase-boxed (in
.060 lig-free board) were nearly dry--the boxes had wicked up most
of the moisture.  The boxes, of course, were ruined, but they had
done their job well.  In light of this, I'm not sure whether having
waterproof enclosures would be a benefit or a drawback.  The
enclosures themselves might survive better, but also might funnel
free water onto any unprotected material nearby.  Of course, if the
leak had gone undetected for longer, the soaked phase boxes might
have promoted mold growth by holding moisture close to the
collection materials.  As usual, there are pros and cons--but just
thought I would pass this along.

                 Distributed: Friday, October 31, 1997