Subject: Mold

Mold

From: Ala Rekrut <arekrut<-a>
Date: Wednesday, October 29, 1997
This is a reaction to several postings dealing with mould.

I work in a major Canadian archives with a strong preventive
conservation program.  Several staff have recently been involved in
researching and creating our Integrated Pest and Mould Management
Strategy, which now forms part of our conservation policy.  Staff
health and safety were a main focus of the mould -related
components, and we worked with a mycologist/occupational hygienist
in the province's Workplace Safety and Health Division.

While I freely admit my limitations in this area, I am a little
concerned with some of the terms that have been used lately in
postings regarding treating mouldy materials.  There have been
references to "killing" the mould spores by freezing, heating and
various kinds of fumigation.  As I understand it, while these
methods will render active mould dormant - halting further damage to
the substrate - the spores not necessarily dead, nor will this
treatment eliminate the health hazard.  Active spores of some mould
species can release volatile organic compounds and mycotoxins which
may be linked to cancer and other heath risks, but the dormant and
dead spores are also still a respiratory health hazard.

Our (limited) research has turned up no studies which indicate a
"safe" level of mould spores (dead or alive).  For this reason the
Provincial Archives of Manitoba has recently taken the position that
we will not allow researchers access to mould-damaged records.  All
records coming into the Archives are inspected by a conservator.
Mould damaged records are identified and isolated.  The loose,
visible mould spores are removed by conservators (full Tyvek suits,
respirators with HEPA filters, HEPA filtered air extraction system).
The "cleaned" records are then reformatted, usually photocopied, and
the photocopy becomes the reference copy.  The originals are
currently retained.

The best reference our research has turned up is:

    Mary-Lou E. Florian, "Conidial Fungi (Mold, Mildew) Biology: A
    Basis for Logical Prevention, Eradication and Treatment of
    Museum and Archival Collections", Leather Conservation News, Vol
    10, 1994, pp. 1-29.

This article reviews literature on the topic (and features as
substantial bibliography) and provides recommendations for
prevention and elimination of conidia, and an overview of various
treatment methods including freezing, freeze-drying and dehydration.

Betty Uzman writes:

>... we currently are in the planning stages for a new building, and
>this possibility is causing us to re-think several programs and
>conservation treatments. Among these is the way in which we deal
>with mold/pests...

It is imperative that conservators get involved in the planning
stages of construction and renovation projects if we are to have any
significant impact on improving collection care.  We are currently
involved in two major construction projects, and have received
invaluable assistance from the Canadian Conservation Institute. Many
pest and mould management issues, as well as other forms of
emergency preparedness have been addressed in the choices of
building materials, finishes and layout.  I would recommend you
contact CCI, especially Paul Marcon for general building issues and
Tom Strang for IPM issues.

>.... is anyone aware of professional guidelines for mold/pest
>treatments, guidelines that are specifically designed for archival
>institutions (or libraries/museums)?

I am willing to provide our Integrated Pest and Mould Management
Strategy on request. The only other archives I know of which has
addressed this issue is the National Archives of Canada.

Ala Rekrut
Acting Chief Conservator
Provincial Archives of Manitoba

                 Distributed: Friday, October 31, 1997