Subject: Mold

Mold

From: Betty Uzman <buzman<-a>
Date: Friday, October 24, 1997
I'm Betty Uzman, assistant manuscript curator at the Mississippi
Department of Archives and History, and I'm new to this list. I've
joined it because we currently are in the planning stages for a new
building, and this possibility is causing us to re-think several
programs and conservation treatments. Among these is the way in
which we deal with mold/pests; the possibility of getting a nitrogen
fumigation chamber has come up. So I'm very interested in the
current discussion of microwaves/mold/pest treatment, and would like
to follow-up with further questions: I'm aware of the options of
treatment for mold and pests, but which ones do people actually
prefer, use and find more effective and practical?

If anyone has used nitrogen fumigation, have you had problems with
it: do you have a preference in type of equipment? Is freezing
preferred? Or do you think respirator use and protected cleaning is
best? I'd appreciate any insight into the actual and practical use
of these approaches.

Also, is anyone aware of professional guidelines for mold/pest
treatments, guidelines that are specifically designed for archival
institutions (or libraries/museums)? Thank you very much for any and
all information,

Betty Uzman
Special Collections
Mississippi Department of Archives and History
P.O. Box 571
Jackson, Ms. 39205-0571

                 Distributed: Tuesday, October 28, 1997