Subject: Compact shelving

Compact shelving

From: Patrick Ravines <ravines<-a>
Date: Tuesday, October 28, 1997
Our library will be moving into part of a new building which was
built without conservation or library input.  The librarians want to
use compact shelving. The main advantage is that the library will be
able to grow for 10 years.  The disadvantage is that the area
housing the collections on compact shelving will only receive air
circulation during working hours.  Under these circumstances--air
circulation limited to 9 hours, compact shelving limiting air
circulation further, and being in a sub tropical region--one can
expect mould and insect problems to affect the collections in a
short period.

I want to dissuade the librarians from using compact shelving.  Has
anyone experience in the area of air circulation and compact
shelving?  If so, I would appreciate hearing from you.  Please send
any anecdotes, references, etc directly to:

     Patrick Ravines
     Baha'i World Centre
     Conservation Office
     Post Office Box 155