Subject: Suggestion for authors

Suggestion for authors

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh<-a>
Date: Monday, October 27, 1997
I often find myself looking up names of those who submit queries in
my AIC directory to find out where they work or whether they are
conservators. I also have the APT directory, the IIC directory, and
a few others.  Many names do not appear.  I am sure many others out
there share my perplexity, since part of the benefit of working with
the DistList is getting to know people.  It would be nice if more
queries began with "I am a ________ (conservator, archivist,
librarian, historian, curator, administrator, etc.) at _____________
(doesn't have to be name but type of institution) in ________
(country, state)..."

    **** Moderator's comments: I (strongly) agree with this notion,
    but putting this kind of thing in your signature would be
    preferable (for data management purposes). The information is
    also *supposed* to be in everyone's ConsDir entry, though some
    people elaborate more than others.

Another nice thing would be for more people to join AIC, APT, IIC,
SAA, etc.  I have to assume that anyone involved enough in
conservation to read the DistList would benefit from getting
mailings from the appropriate group, and having your name in a
directory would help your colleagues get to know you. The AIC
Directory also has a lot of other useful information like funding
agencies and other organizations.  If the cost of membership is a
barrier, those in charge of those organizations would like to know
that, too.

If it would help to post names, addresses, and web sites for various
membership organizations both American and international, I am sure
that could be arranged.  Information exchange among those who use
this list is beneficial but needs to go further.

B. Appelbaum

                 Distributed: Tuesday, October 28, 1997