Subject: Santobrite

Santobrite

From: Mary W. Ballard <mwb<-a>
Date: Tuesday, October 28, 1997
Tim Edwards <sadete<-a t->hantsnet< . >hants< . >gov< . >uk>

>We have discovered some of this amongst our collection. It is paper
>impregnated with pentachlorophenol (usually a 10% solution I
>believe). This is a fungicide used in the 1960s which is now known
>to be an animal carcinogen, a teratogen and a mutagen.
>... Does
>anyone have experience of this material? What is the safest approach
>to take to remove this hazard and dispose of it?

Pentachlorophenol is usually applied (5% conc.) in minerals spirits,
kerosene. It is soluble in alcohol, ether, benzene. It is not
soluble in water. However, it is more toxic in organic solvents than
as a solid. It may be fatal if swallowed (in conc.) and is adsorbed
through the skin. Avoid eyes, skin, and clothing contact. Waste
disposal (of the solution) is restricted. Ref: Merck Index ("an
encyclopedia of chemicals, drugs, and biologicals") Rahway New
Jersey: Merck & Co. Inc. and Farm Chemicals Handbook Willoughby,
Ohio:Meister Publishing Co. fax: 216-942-0662.

Comment: In reading these sources, one would conclude that it may be
better to restrict the use of the volumes contaminated with
pentachlorophenol than to try to removal the contamination unless
there are appropriate facilities and a specific need. If you think
you have pesticide residues or there are records of previous use--or
your institution has made you responsible for liaison with a pest
control service, these volumes are very useful references. Meister
has offices in Europe and Santobrite was listed as a trade name, so
don't be mistaken in assuming its content and terminology is
strictly American.

    **** Moderator's comments:   Mary Ballard later sent this
    followup message

    Apologies: In reading over my note to you, I think it sounds a
    bit pedantic, perhaps because I left out a few explanatory
    sentences: As a restricted use pesticide, pentachlorophenol--its
    use, transport, disposal are all legally regulated by federal,
    state and local government here in the US (& presumably in
    Britain too). As of 1992 (my copy of Farm Chem.) one has to
    report the presence of 10 pounds or more, it is subject to SARA
    Section 313 Toxic Chemicals (emissions or releases must be
    reported under Title III's community right-to-know provisions)
    and under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act classifies
    it on its "U" list. Here in the States, you would probably want
    to check before you sent the books to a laboratory down the
    road. (The department of transportation has a substantial fine
    for mis-transporting hazardous wastes, samples etc). As a
    government employee you have to make sure you follow all the
    rules, even the ones you might not know about! From this point
    of view, the simplest thing to do, if there are only a few
    books, may be to contain and monitor them where they are now.

Mary W. Ballard

                 Distributed: Tuesday, October 28, 1997