Subject: Santobrite

Santobrite

From: Tim Edwards <sadete<-a>
Date: Thursday, October 23, 1997
We have discovered some of this amongst our collection. It is paper
impregnated with pentachlorophenol (usually a 10% solution I
believe). This is a fungicide used in the 1960s which is now known
to be an animal carcinogen, a teratogen and a mutagen. Information I
have suggests this is not as bad as it seems. Main dangers to health
seem to be the possibility of contact dermatitis through handling
and concerns about breathing any dust produced from the material. We
have only discovered it amongst badly mould affected material which
is rarely, if ever looked at. Thus exposure to staff and readers
should be minimal. However we obviously want to get rid of it. Does
anyone have experience of this material? What is the safest approach
to take to remove this hazard and dispose of it? I believe this could
be a fairly widespread problem. Any information would be helpful.

Tim Edwards

                Distributed: Thursday, October 23, 1997