Subject: Woodpeckers

Woodpeckers

From: Larry Schroeder <larrys<-a>
Date: Monday, October 20, 1997
As noted by an earlier respondent to the woodpecker query, if the
bird is foraging for bugs, you already got problems, and dealing
with those should eliminate the symptom.  But the situation is not
necessarily entomological.

Woodpeckers can be hammering your building by way of communicating,
if they find its acoustics felicitous.  I'm sure there are a slew of
ways to make one's building less resonant, but nothing particularly
elegant or reliably universal occurs to me.

Woodpeckers can also be home-making, as was the case at Fort Bliss's
Bachelor Officers Quarters.  Our response was to mount a birdhouse
over the hole produced by the pecker, its entry aligned with the one
covered.  This has been in place about a year.  While I cannot tell
if the birdhouse is inhabited, there have been no complaints of
woodpecker hammering since its installation.  Do be mindful that
birds are particular about the size and configuration of their
homes.  Appropriate plans for your local woodpeckers shouldn't be
hard to come by.

                Distributed: Thursday, October 23, 1997