Subject: Portable microscopes

Portable microscopes

From: Howard Wellman <howard<-a>
Date: Saturday, October 18, 1997
Luis Nadeau <nadeaul<-a t->nbnet< . >nb< . >ca> writes

>At a recent workshop on the identification of prints, we used a
>number of battery-operated portable microscopes in the 7X, 30X and
>50X range. They were quite inexpensive as they were purchased for
>approximately US$12 each. Their quality was not very good.
>Can anyone point us towards better quality instruments?

I have purchased for field use, and also use in my lab, a russian
10x microscope that is extremely sturdy, has very good optics, and
cost me about about 80 pounds sterling.  In addition to coming on a
bench stand, I found that I could easily adapt it to use on a large
goose-neck for working on larger objects.  It proved so popular that
I had to fight the archaeobotanist to use it!

I purchased it through a British distributor, but the company may be
represented in America as well.  Try contacting:

    Zenith Microscopes
    Technical and Optical Equipment Ltd
    Zenith House,
    69 Lawrence Road,