Subject: Propylene glycol mono methyl ether

Propylene glycol mono methyl ether

From: Alan Phenix <aphenix<-a>
Date: Wednesday, October 15, 1997
from Bill Schein: I understand this solvent is also known as
1-methoxy propan-2-ol, and can be acquired as such in fairly small
quantities from the usual chemical suppliers.  In the UK, we get it
from Merck in 2.5 litre bottles.

If you want larger quantities, chemical solvent suppliers are the
likely source: it is produced by Shell (in Europe) under the trade
name Methyl Proxitol, and I believe they can supply in 25 litre
drums.

A comprehensive list of US suppliers of glycol ether solvents, with
the various trade names, can probably be found in a short paper on
this subject by Chris McGlinchey in Studies in Conservation ca.
1991. Hope this helps.

Alan Phenix
FOM AMOLF
Amsterdam

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 15, 1997