Subject: Bronze

Bronze

From: Jonathan Farley <jon<-a>
Date: Wednesday, October 15, 1997
P. Van Eyk <rpvaneyk<-a t->ccrs< . >on< . >ca> writes:

>I've been asked to provide treatment specifications for bronze
>architectural components. The items include interior and exterior
>Window frames, as well as hardware such as handles and latches.
>I'm looking for resources and recommendations that will help me
>determine the following:
>
>    the pros and cons of chemical and mechanical (any appropriate
>    blasting method) paint removal from bronze.
>
>    a standard reference for a light statutory bronze patina
>
>    an ideal protective coating

A good starting point would be:

    Baer, Norbert: Conservation Notes, Maintenance of Outdoor Bronze
    Sculpture; The International Journal of Museum Management and
    Curatorship. Volume 7 Number 1 (1988) pp 71 - 75

Mr Baer reviews several treatment methods used, and provides a short
but good bibliography to continue with. Granted the article is 10
years old, but many of the methods discussed are still in use today,
and is worth reading. Regards,

Jonathan Farley

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 15, 1997